Saturday, July 25, 2009

GAIN?

Quick question--what is the status on gain? If I am shooting in HD and am in low light and there is nothing I can do to raise it, will 3db or 6db of gain ruin the picture? I've experimented with it and can tell it is a bit grainier but I don't think it ruins it, but if it is on a big screen will it look awful? Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks! I will post more soon, everything is going well, just semi-concerned about the low light thing since I've been shooting some concerts in bars, etc.

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. ahh, can we extend this question to those shooting in DV? (I am not using HD, am I? I am using "DV?" )

    I think Baby (=camera X) has the same problem as Adam's rebellious one, but I can't bring myself to admonish her (= figure out how to change the menu settings). anyways givin that some of best footage so far (also at night at a dj party) is shot with +3 db, I have decided that its graininess with be utilized as a stylistic effect...

    In other words Lucas, I cannot answer your question but share a similar plight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do my utmost to avoid gain, since I think it doesn't look great. Of course, if you have to film in the dark it is unavoidable. Though don't forget that you can change the shutter speed. I always lower the shutter speed to 1/30 of a second first, then if that isn't enough then I either turn the gain on or even go to 1/15 a second, though that results in a stuttery image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, it's just a trade-off between darkness and graininess. Probably much better to have a grainy image than an illegibly dark image! The HVX is unfortunately not a great low-light camera, so you'll have to do what you can to make it work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete