Monday, July 6, 2009

Chers amis,

I finally arrived! I think I might have been the last to leave, just missing Julia in transit. My mom visited over the weekend, so we suffered through jet lag and hot spell over the weekend. From the first step off the plane, I have been thinking nothing but images--it's dreadful! She encouraged me, though, to lug the camera to Versailles. But kept asking why I didn't just shoot photography if I only going to film the sky (I made her stay up to midnight the second night while I filmed the clouds)

"Cynthia, what about the action?"

The guard finally put a stop to my antics, though--"Interdit, interdit"--so I switched over to sound. I think Mutter's having second thoughts about my ambitions to become "une realisateur", however, when I began to nag her about keeping the proper distance from "Baby."

"Mutter, please stand away from Baby while you eat that orange. Baby hates fruit. Citrus spray upsets Baby."

I left Baby at home yesterday, though, (my back needed a break) and instead did reconnaisaance for Daniel Buren's in situ work at the Picasso Museum. He was at one of Broodthaers's early expositions and in my dreams, would make a good interview. Again, Mutter assisted as I stage directed(I did this at Versailles, but perhaps you need to see the footage to appreciate....).

"No Mutter, turn to your right, perpendicular to the mirror, PERPENDICULAR I say. Now left leg slightly left, closer to the mirroir, closer. There! Now lift up the right leg. Hold....keeping holding, keep holding. Perfect!

But back to the project, as for other interviews, I have numbers for some folks in Brussels but am currently reconsidering whether I will need to try to keep my room in Paris as a base and just go for long weekends (oh dear!). I have quickly learned that Baby makes me much less mobile and very dependent on elevators. Venice had no plans to build escaleteurs last time I checked. Would ruin that historical ambience of decay.

Such are my logistical worries...

2 comments:

  1. am i decoding correctly: mutter=mother, baby=camera? if you give it a week or two with the camera, it gets so much easier! the first few days schlepping it to and from the deaf school (about a half-mile each way), i thought i might die, but now i'm just a regular old turtle! tttrripppppppyyyy photo.

    ReplyDelete