Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Special Olympics and Olympic-Sized Trials

Back in Kathmandu, again unexpectedly, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned so far, it’s that you’ve just gotta roll with the punches… especially if you’re operating on Nepali time. Either I find out what’s happening at the last minute, miss it altogether, or find out way in advance and everything falls through. The bad news: to my total dismay, the students just started a two week summer vacation smack in the middle of my ten-week stay. The good news: within that summer break, three days have been filled with the Nepali version of the Special Olympics, and this Saturday there will be a district-wide, day-long deaf picnic in a nearby village. (On the Fourth of July, no less! Same idea, different cause of celebration.) In the remaining vacation days, I’ll catch up on logging (ay caramba), get establishing shots around Banepa, and film at the hostel where ten students live. For the next 72 hours, however, I am unabashedly vegging out in Kathmandu. Three straight dawn-to-dusk shooting days in an chaotic, unpredictable environment 28 long, long kilometers from the familiarity and control of the deaf school has left me exhausted. On the flip side, I survived a wild ride on top of a bus (as pictured; halfway regretting not bringing the camera up there) and got some killer footage at the games (Sumit, the school’s star athlete, passed out promptly after crossing the finish line to bring home the silver medal in the 400m race… it was Kerri-Strugg-in-the ’96-Olympics epic!).

Like everyone else’s projects, this film has been an ever-morphing entity and an exciting, all-consuming rollercoaster. The “golden thread” is proving to be an elusive one… I had a brief panic attack after reading MacDougal’s “Social Aesthetics” (better late than never…!) and his methodology for selecting student subjects in order narrow the focus of his study. My plan (and, in fact, execution) had been to follow all the teachers and students, intending to pick and choose the interesting bits in the editing room—since the school has a mere forty students, I intended to create a “portrait of a place” by piecing together disparate elements (people, classrooms, conversations) in and around the school. Now, I’m not convinced this could maintain the interest of an audience for twenty minutes (even given the novelty of sign language), nor would it provide a solid structure for a film. Still, hope is not lost; though I realize MacDougal’s method is one of many ways to focus a film, I am finding certain relationships to be emerging as particularly captivating—a recent graduate spends afternoons teaching sign language to a twelfth grader who recently lost his hearing, the first graders learn as much from one another as they do from the teachers, a group of young women spend their final days crafting together before parting ways for the real world, the school’s sole deaf teacher is passionate, expressive, and the students’ unanimous favorite... With my remaining time, I plan to focus on five relationships (though I’ll probably narrow it down to the most compelling three in the end)—I’ll braid the three stories together, possibly through location and character overlaps, though I’m not entirely sure how best to go about braiding (with a golden thread, perhaps?). I am so open to advice, constructive criticism, and gaping holes (no matter how obvious you think they might be).

Besides the treasure hunt for a golden thread, I’ve run into three serious obstacles. Sorry to burden you with a mountain of questions, but I’m really at a loss. Any advice/tips/insights on even one of these hurdles (and/or feedback on the basic structure) would be super-helpful!

1.) CONVERSATION: The deaf sign over one another—interrupting one another, starting before the other finishes, and constantly breaking off into smaller sub-conversations and rejoining the main conversation. And, oh my goodness, are they fast. This leaves me with two choices: (1) I can shoot in close-ups and medium-close ups (a la my final project at the ASL table), and sacrifice crucial parts of the conversation and keys to post-production translation, or (2) I can fit all the subjects into the frame (a la Stephanie Spray’s piece), an aesthetic break from my typical filming style (the dreaded “long take”), and make it difficult to cut ins and outs. With method 1, it’s difficult to keep up with a conversation of two people, and impossible with four or more. Picking up overlapped conversation and piecing conversations together with L-cuts won’t be possible with a visual language. With method 2, is it okay to cut into close-ups—faces of people watching, etc.—or is it too obviously faked, since the majority of the scene would be shot with a static frame? How can I deal with this dilemma? I’m also finding that while the girls and women naturally form arrangements conducive to framing (sitting in semi-circles, holding still, etc.), most of the boys have ants in their pants—they constantly shift around, step in front of the person signing, and form tight circles that are hard to break into. Even when they’re sitting, a boy will always sit down smack in front of the camera like it’s not even there, or he will scoot forward or backward to block or be blocked. Should I avoid conversations with more than two people, conversations with boys, etc.? Any tips on how I might best film a visual language?

2.) TRANSLATION: I’ve been clinging to the naïve fantasy that by the end of three months, I’ll be totally fluent in NSL and can come home to effortlessly tranlate 20+ hours of conversation. However, when I asked Krishna (the head teacher) the content of what I thought was a pretty simple, straightforward conversation between two boys, she had no idea what they were talking about… and this is after fifteen years of signing daily in a deaf school. In other words, YIKES. One possible solution is going all Forests of Bliss on you and not translating at all. From the beginning, I’ve made an effort to film events accessible to a Western audience: math lessons, the sign language lessons between the two boys, the recent grads’ crafting circle, sports and games, etc. In theory, it'd be possible to build a film that doesn’t need translation. However, I think that translated conversation is crucial to really understanding this rich culture, creating story lines (which I want!), revealing personalities and relationships, and maintaining the audience’s interest. I don’t think every scene and every gesture need to be translated, but I do think a few scenes of conversation will be critical. What’s a girl to do? I’ve been in brainstorming mode… I could show potentially key conversations to the people who originally had them, and work through the nitty gritty of the conversation. This is especially feasible with Sharmila and Krishna, with whom communication has been more advanced. The main problem is that more often than I’d like to admit, I have no idea what my subjects are talking about. I’m so focused on cinematography that I often don’t know what I’m getting—even when my frame is static, there’s something about watching a conversation in two dimensions that makes it more difficult to understand. So with this growing Mt. Everest of footage, I don’t know which conversations have the most important content—just which conversations have the best lighting, framing, etc. Waiting until I return to Harvard will cut me off from my subjects (few have e-mail, and the internet in Banepa works sluggishly, if at all), but there are a handful of people in America fluent in NSL that I could potentially rope into the project. I’m taking steps in the right direction… Any time there’s a written component of a scene (blackboards, lesson books, passed notes), I’ve gotten close-ups of the Nepali, which I hope will later help decode anything I don’t understand. More and more often, I try to get a debrief from the subjects post-conversation, but this is tough when a conversation is 10-15 minutes long, or when the conversation ends naturally because people must leave. How are those of you who don’t know the language fluently dealing filmically (Lucas and Julia, are you the only two?)? Do the rest of you have any suggestions?

3.) ETHICS OF FILMING: This is perhaps the toughest yet, since there are never such clear-cut lines when it comes to moral reasoning. Nevertheless, I’ve been totally floored by the heavy issues I’ve been dealing with, and thought you anthro folk might be more experiences in the area. I’ve been asking myself a lot lately, “Which matters more, getting this shot or the feelings of the person this will affect?” It all seems like such a precarious balance—building a strong, three-dimensional film requires that you get shots that might not always be emotionally easy and forces you to get closer when you’d rather pull away, but at the same time, building trusting relationships is an important part of the process too, and I often don’t know when it’s better to turn off the camera and forfeit a scene. Shooting at the Special Olympics was really tough for me—I was constantly on edge about shooting handicapped strangers, especially without their explicit permission. The footage was mostly just unincriminating establishing shots—people chatting, spectating, and participating—but I was very worried about how I would be percieved. Are there any guidelines to filming the physically/mentally handicapped? Also, the night before last, the grandmother of my host family had what seemed to be a stroke (after a night of high blood pressure and total paralysis, she’s lost the use of her right face and arm, can’t hear, and can’t speak), and I’m currently facing the very real, sobering possibility that she might be dead when I return to Banepa. If she survives, she will undoubtedly be in a precarious state, and the vibe in the house is bound to be different. I feel so selfish to even have this on my mind, but I am wondering how this will affect filming. I’ve been shooting Krishna and her family in the house as part of the project, and there are several shots I haven’t gotten yet that are important to the opening sequence as planned. I would feel really uncomfortable incorporating the grandmother’s illness or death into the film, but I also don’t know: is it okay to shoot at all? How are y’all grappling with the ethics of filming? How far can you push til you’ve pushed too far?

I can’t wait for your feedback and continued posts… In the meantime, thinking warmly of y’all and sending all the good karma I’ve gained circumambulating stupas!

4 comments:

  1. I think many people, including myself, are guilty of intellectualizing the ethics/morality debate when it is ultimately a deeply emotional thing. (Yea, blah, false dichotomy between intellect and emotion...blah.) Anyway, I am finding that pushing a situation for the sake of 'art' or 'research' is highly uncomfortable and problematic for me. And yes, there is something to be said for enduring discomfort and stretching one's boundaries. But I mean in terms of my gut sense of what's right and wrong in treating others, whether or not I have the shield of the camera, is what guides me. And here, in Hue right now, I don't believe that I can use the camera in ways that humanize and spur compassion when I am in the position I am, and a potentially compelling subject for the camera expresses hesitation about participating, due to illness, modesty, or whatever. I could try harder and use various approaches to explain and let time win him over but I just don't want to push it, even if it results in a major portion of the project being flat in the end. Finding the right subjects (who'll agree to participate) and the right approaches seem to be situations of luck. Here, especially for artists/poets, the intimacy of private life has to be respected and is often off-limits, even to 'researchers'. Also, illness and death are grave matters that require respect in a different sense than I understand it in the States. I have found a couple of really interesting people whose lives would make excellent, compassionate stories for the screen. But, they are facing illness and death in private life and I can't bring myself to even ask for access to their home situations because I already know from context that asking would be improper. I get a bit wistful about the lost potential project but then frown at myself for being so selfish and unsympathetic. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel entirely comfortable with this whole self-serving task of throwing myself in somewhere and expecting to pull a video out of it based on the good graces of people I have just met. I think I would feel differently had I been part of their lives for a significant amount of time and decided that their stories should be told and they were willingly, actively engaged in the process from beginning to end and beyond. I have been thinking a lot about the presumptuousness of these haphazard encounters as well as the ridiculousness of anthropology as an 'intellectual' pursuit. But that's not to say meaningful relationships haven't developed or that people are not extremel supportive. They have and they are. Every once in a while you just have to let go a bit of the task at hand and just think about how you'd relate to people not as subjects but as people.

    Sorry for the longwinded responses. Mostly I am also deliberating and trying to find a comfort zone myself. G'luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty,

    In shooting complex conversations with constant interruptions, especially if they involve more than two people, I'd favor the long take. I agree that these are all but impossible to cut and that inserting cutaways and reaction shots into them nearly always looks clumsy and wrong. My shooting goal would be to try to get stretches of conversation that could be used intact, without cutting, and to shoot these very calmly and carefully, knowing that you probably won't be able to cut. You can't realistically expect to organize such long takes into a detailed development of what is happening in your subjects' lives but you can expect them to give the viewer a window into the world of your subjects--what they think, how they "talk," etc. And this may be more than enough.

    Even when I'm filming people speaking English I find it hard to concentrate on what they're saying while paying attention to the frame, the light, the sound. Here's a suggestion: after you've shot a conversation, ask one of the subjects what they've been talking about (shoot this for reference). When you get to the next stage, this can help you decide whether to invest the energy in translation.

    About ten years ago we shot a lot of material of subjects speaking a dialect of Spanish that was very hard for any of us to understand, and we worried that when we got back to the U.S. we wouldn't be able to find Spanish speakers who could get all of it for the sections we needed to subtitle. The producer of the documentary was an American who had worked in the region for a long time, was married to a local woman, and understood everything perfectly. While we were still in the field, we picked out the footage that was dialogue dependent and played it back on a TV for him (displaying the time code). We set up our camera to film the TV and gave him the microphone. He translated in real time, and this gave our editor a translation guide, which he digitized and laid in on another video track in the Avid as a reference for cutting and then for subtitling. Could you get somebody in the school to do something similar for you using the sequences you think are most promising, based on the quality of the shooting and the little summary of what the students were talking about?

    Sometimes in shooting and editing in a foreign language, I've made a distinction between scenes that are dialogue-dependent and those that aren't. If there is some casual dialogue in a scene that is perfectly intelligible visually, I've often decided to avoid cluttering the image with subtitles. But when the scene is of an extended conversation, I feel that there is no doubt that the conversation is what I'm filming and is what the viewer will be attending to. And here, I feel, it would be coy and frustrating to withhold translation. It seems to me that, given the cheapness of videotape, the real problem is shooting a mountain of material that might require translation and that deciding what to use could be a major production obstacle. That's why sorting it out in the field would be such an advantage. In the late 90s a VES TA and undergraduate made a fine film about an orphanage in Tanzania, where the dialogue was in slangy, accented Ki-swahili (and another local language). I hardly ever remember passing the editing room without seeing an African student laboring over the transcription and translation. The filmmakers wound up exhausting every East African student in the Boston area. This was OK since they had a couple of years to spend on this long film but it's a path you want to avoid.

    Good luck with it.

    ALFRED

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ty,

    I haven't come across any situations thus far this summer that have forced me to think seriously about the ethics of filming. However, when I think about some of the most powerful documentaries I have seen, they often include footage that I can't imagine being comfortable filming. With that thought in mind, I think that pushing the envelope is generally a good idea unless you think it will seriously compromise your relationships with your subjects. You can always decide not to use the footage in the end, and perhaps this thought can comfort you as you film. I am reminded of Grizzly Man. Throughout the film, Herzog discusses in the narration the problem of whether or not to include the footage (mainly sound) of the film's subject being eaten by a bear. In the end, he doesn't use it—though he did have the option. (In case anyone hasn't seen it, it was footage shot by the subject himself, not by Herzog of course)

    Cheers,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now wouldn’t that be the ethical dliemma (if Herzog had shot it himself): “My subject is being eaten by a bear. Should I keep filming?”

    Thank you so much for the help, Anh-Thu, Alfred, and Adam! Good advice all! Getting a real-time translation from a bilingual local is a really great idea… I could try this out with Krishna (my host mother, as well as the school’s head teacher), especially with scenes that include a lot of spoken Nepali or scenes with her in them. (She’s the only one at the school who speaks English conversationally.) I also have a second “lesson” scheduled with the television interpreter, which I intentionally scheduled towards the end of my stay so I could pick his brain with translation. Translating in real time would make a huge difference in the amount of dialogue we could potentially plow through in the two hour time allotted. In both facilities, I’m pretty sure I’ll have access to a television… Krishna has a TV in her bedroom, and the VIN office has several good-quality desktop computers and maybe one television. How did you play the mini-DVs on the TV and still have a camera at your disposal to film the translation? Did you have a tape deck with you? I have a built-in webcam on my MacBook, so I could potentially use my laptop to record real-time translation. Could I then hook the camera up to the TV to play back the tapes? Does this require special cables, a VCR player, etc., or do I have everything I need in the kit? Oy, so many questions! I’m keen to do everything I can now to make post-production painless and subtitling accurate!

    ReplyDelete