Friday, June 19, 2009

Quotidian Life

It's definitely great to hear from everyone! Things are going well here. For the past few nights there have been demonstrations of traditional Sicilian music and dancing in the main square in town. I have gotten some pretty good footage of it. It's great as spectacle, but I am definitely feeling that I need to get (a lot) more footage of day-to-day life here. I am constantly getting new ideas, so I'm not worried. I still have another two months here, which feels at once like more than enough and not nearly enough! I am also beginning to worry that the 500GB I have for storage won't be enough, considering I have already used around 80GB and have only been here 10 days.

I finally managed to work out a place to live. The first one fell through, but this turned out to be a stroke of luck, as I ended up with a much nicer place for a much lower price! I have an incredible view of the ocean and Mt. Etna, and not only do I have a terrace, but from the terrace there is a staircase to the roof, where there is another terrace with even better views.

I think that is about all the news I have for now. I hope to hear from you all soon!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oops! Sorry about that deleted comment. I'm (relatively) new to this whole blog thing.)

    Adam, I love reading your entries… If your film is even half as beautiful as your descriptions of Italy, it’s sure to be excellent. I must admit, though, I’m more than a little jealous of your granita siciliana and the local film festivals you and Elisa have attended. Only a week in and I’m sick to death of rice, and the only film festival is European… no way did I come all the way to Nepal to watch Western films! Oh well—there’s always Bollywood!

    I can’t say for sure since I haven’t seen your footage, but I would guess that if there’s a will, there’s a way. If the overmodulated popping sounds don’t feel natural the image and there isn’t any obvious sync image to the popping sound, it would be relatively easy to cut those few frames and replace with ambient fire noise.

    As for changing the scene file, our various instructors would know way better than I, but isn’t changing the scene file just a form of “color correction”? I bet you could “color uncorrect” in post-production… I also think the audience is more forgiving between scenes than within them. If it’s not a drastic change (especially if you shoot an indoor scene next), I doubt anyone would notice.

    Congrats on the sweet flat! It sounds fantastic, especially the bit about the roof. I’ll be sure to wave from my roof to yours! (On an unrelated note, Beiruit’s “Postcards from Italy” just came up on shuffle on my iTunes…!)

    ReplyDelete