Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Catholic, Charismatic and Communist


June 10th:
This is my first act of blogging ever. I'm sitting at the airport in Bangalore, about to descend the Deccan plateau into Kerala. Ben and I spent the last week tromping around Bombay with our friend Namita (anth G1), going to Pune, and then down to Bangalore to talk to some profs and see our friend Anand (anth G2). Bombay was a amazing but so hot I thought my cigarette might light itself through spontaneous combustion. (I tried, it didn't work).
I haven't started shooting yet, but I must say that thus far my biggest regret is turning down an offer to be an extra in a Bollywood film. If that remains my biggest regret, I think I'll be OK.

***later that day, in Kochi, Kerala***
Upon arriving at the homestay where we'll be staying, I began chatting with the owner, and come to find out that he is, and I quote: "Catholic, charismatic, and Communist." Looks like I have my work cut out for me!

June 13th:
We've been making some real progress. And we have to because I only have two more weeks to shoot! Ben and I have been shooting with some fishermen who operate these amazing Chinese fishing nets! They are great, super interesting and speak (a little) english, and they're Catholic. I'm now searching for the golden thread to tie everything together. We're leaving in a fwe minutes to go on a bus to a Charismatic night vigil service somewhere north of here. The Catholics and Charismatics are in abundance, but I'm not sure how they'll take to being filmed... it is a bit of a sensitive issue. I've been making LOADS of contacts for my future research here. I met the mayor and the former mayor (both who happen to be social scientists) and they're very supportive of my plans (as ill defined as they are at the moment).
As far as the structure of the film, I am thinking about following the fish: from the catch (all the fishermen are apparently christian) to the fish market (apparently operated by only Muslims) to the table and (possibly) using this as metaphor for the spread of religion here. not sure, just an infantile idea.
well, I've got to go, I've been enjoying hearing from everyone, and wish you all the best!
Julia and Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment