Monday, June 15, 2009

Minor Technical Issues and My First Big Shoot

Buon giorno a tutti!

Things have been going great here, except a few minor technical problems. I'll start with those:

1. I forgot the Firewire cable to transfer data from the camera to my computer. Dunce. Hopefully I can find one here. (I'm sure I can, one way or another.)
2. Every time I turn off my camera, it reverts from "Video Cam" mode to "Film Cam" mode, which apparently doesn't take sound input. It's really annoying. It's just a matter of switching it back, but that takes valuable time when I should be rolling. Anyone else have this problem?
3. I was filming fire the other day, and the pops from the fire, though they didn't seem loud, sent the microphone input into the red. I'm guessing this doesn't matter since they are sharp, instantaneous sounds, but I'm not totally sure. Suggestions?

I had my first big shoot a couple days ago. As I mentioned earlier, I shot my friend's mother burning the weeds in her fields to prevent the brush fires that will no doubt arrive later in the summer from destroying her crops. It went really well and I got some really beautiful and interesting footage.

Other than that, I have been wandering around and getting lots of ideas. The Taormina Film Festival is this week and I have been to see a few films (I highly recommend Crossing Over, by the way). Thirteen euros gets students into every film and event for the whole week!

That's it for now! Happy shooting, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. 1. That should be available if there are electronics or computer shops around. It's a 4-pin to 6-pin cable.
    2. It may be that your Scene File dial on the back of the camera is set to a setting which defaults to Film Cam mode. Is that it?
    3. That's absolutely no problem. As you said, the transients on sounds like that are too fast to distort. The way to verify this, of course, is to listen back. Other quick sounds, like a handclap, can be treated similarly (i.e. not worried about).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ernst, that is a big help. I did find a Firewire cable. The Scene File is, I believe, the problem, but I hesitate to change it since I have already been shooting that way for awhile. If I change it, how drastically will I alter the look of my footage?

    ReplyDelete